Vietnam Travel Checklist
- Travel documents (passport, visas, travel insurance certificate, air tickets, tour voucher)
- Money (cash, credit card, debit card, traveler’s ch, ques and money pouch)
- Daypack for your personal needs during the day
- Camera and extra memory cards and batteries
- Cell phone and cell phone charger
- Laptop charger (if you are bringing your laptop)
- Travel plug/international adapter
- Medication (including a doctor’s letter if you are carrying a large amount of medication)
- Prescription glasses/contacts and if necessary, contact lens solution
Best to bring along
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent
- Refillable water bottle with filter
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Comfortable clothing, either light or heavy options, depending on the season you are traveling
- Clothes suitable for visiting temples (long pants/skirts, long-sleeved tops)
- Waterproof jacket / raincoat / umbrella
- Hat & sunglasses
- Bathing suit
- Earplugs & eye mask
- Sleep sheet for homestays/trains
- Lightweight travel towel
- Local language phrasebook
Vaccinations Before Your Holiday
There are no compulsory vaccinations for Vietnam required by law for travellers from Western Europe to gain entry but certain vaccinations for Vietnam are strongly recommended by the CDC and WHO.
For most short-term travellers, the recommended vaccinations for Vietnam include cover against childhood diseases (Tetanus and Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps and Rubella) as well as cover against food and water-borne diseases, including Typhoid and Hepatitis A. For those trekking in the countryside or staying for longer periods, cover against Hepatitis B and Rabies should also be considered.
The recommended time to start your vaccines is four to six weeks before leaving home. However, for those planning a longer visit, or where if the planned trip is likely to bring them to more rural parts of Vietnam, ask your doctor what vaccines and medicines you may need based on where you are going, how long you are staying, what you will be doing, and if you are traveling from an oversea country. You should book your consultation earlier to ensure that there is sufficient time to complete the vaccine courses.
Luggage For Domestic Flights
Below is the luggage policy of Vietnam Airlines (Vietnam’s national airline)
Hand baggage includes hand baggage item(s) and one accessory. For safety reasons, the weight and dimensions must follow:
- The maximum weight for each piece of hand baggage is 10kg/22lbs.
- The total weight of hand baggage item(s), plus one accessory must not exceed:
- For Economy class: 12kg/26lbs (including one hand baggage item and one accessory)
- For Premium Economy/Business class: 18kg/40lbs (including two hand baggage items and one accessory)
- The total dimension of one hand baggage item must not exceed 115cm/45in (56cm x 36cm x 23cm or 22in x 14in x 9in).
- The total dimension of one accessory must not exceed 40cm x 30cm x 15cm or 16in x 12in x 6in.
In addition to hand baggage item(s) and an accessory, passengers may take some personal items on board without a fee.
If your hand baggage exceeds the quantity, weight and dimensions specified above, the luggage must be checked.
The maximum weight of each piece must follow:
- 23kg/50lb for Economy/ Premium Economy class
- 32kg/70lb for Business class
The total dimension (width + height + depth) of each piece must not exceed 158cm/62in.
If the weight of a piece of checked baggage exceeds the above standard, passengers will be required to re-pack their baggage and pay an excess baggage fee or consider sending their baggage as cargo. Please contact airlines prior to your travel.